This fall we started our (Home) school year studying Norse Mythology and the Vikings. I don’t remember I ever studied them, so everything was new to me. It might possibly be that I wasn’t paying attention in school when we did study it… who knows! Either way, it was like studying something new, and I like it.
We did a little bit of geography (I love maps), and fun to talk about where we’ve been and have them locate and get some direction of what and where we are talking about.
We zoomed in the Scandinavian countries, where Norsemen are from.
We read and based our days from the D’Aulaires’ Book of Norse Myth. Read it in order (for these most part) and added other books and sites. Even now, after studying it, I still find these diagrams very helpful.
I’ll post a few more pictures and posts about the activities we did, but here are the resources, in one place.
The list of books and sites we used for this unit (sorry, they are in no particular order):
- Elfwyn’s Saga by David Wisniewski.
- Celtic and Old Norse Designs by Courtney Davis.
- Celtic and Norse Designs : CD-Rom and Book, Electronic Clip Art by Amy Lusenbrick and Courtney Davis.
- The Mighty Thor (Marvel, Golden Books) by Milly Wrecks.
- Stolen Thunder : A Norse Myth by Shirley Climo.
- Sister Bear : A Norse Tale by Jane Yolen.
- Myths and Civilizations of the Vikings by Hazel Mary Martell.
- East o’ the Sun & West o’ the Moon : An Old Norse Tale illustrated by Gillian Barlow and Translated by Sir George Webbe Dasent.
- Asgard Stories: Tales From Norse Mythology by Mary H. Foster and Mabel H. Cummings.
- The New York Public Library Amazing Mythology : A Book of Answers for Kids by Brenda January.
- Favorite Norse Myths retold by Mary Pope Osborne.
- Treasury Norse Mythology : Stories of Intrigue, Trickery, Love and Revenge by Donna Jo Napoli.
- Norse Hero Tales : The King and the Green Angelica and Other Stories by Isabel Wyatt.
- Going to War in Viking Times (Armies of the Past) by Christopher Gravett.
- Exploring the Life, Myth, and Art of the Vikings (Civilizations of the World) by Tony Allan.
- The Crafts and Culture of the Vikings (Crafts of the Ancient World) by Joann Jovingelly and Jason Netelkos.
- The Vikings : Facts, Things to Make and Activities by Rachel Wright.
- Vikings (DK Eyewitness Book) by Susan M. Margeson.
- Vikings (Hands-On History) by Fiona Macdonald.
- Hands-On America Volume 1 : Art Activities About Vikings, Woodland Indians and Early Colonists by Yvonne Y. Merrill.
- Who Discovered America? by Valerie Wyatt.
- Basher History Mythology : Oh My! Gods and Goddesses by Mary Budzik.
- Norse Mythology (The World of Mythology) by Jim Ollhoff.
- Norse Mythology A to Z by Kathleen N. Daly.
- Gods and Goddesses of the Ancient Norse by Leonard Everett Fisher.
- D’Aulaires’ Book of Norse Myth by Ingrid D’Aulaires.
- Norse Gods and Goddesses (Dover Coloring Book).
- This Website.
- Great resources on this homeschooler’s blog.
- This homeschool mom’s blog was pretty to read too.
- Another blog with some great photos and ideas.
- The tree with the names. A good reminder.
- Vikings for Kids and Teachers.
- Norse Mythology Clipart.
- Mimir the giant.
- The Children of Odin. And this is a good page for the Family Tree of Norse Mythology.
- Runes activities.
- Coloring pages.
- Celtic and Irish symbols, printable.
- Viking Lesson Plans from Viking Network Ireland.
- This website for a Viking Unit and games.
- You wouldn’t want to be a viking explorer from Teachers Pay Teachers website.
- Viking ship collage activity by Cassie Stephens.
- Paper dolls and so many of them!
- We liked this idea to make a Viking boat with a tissue paper box, but decided not to do it this time.
- I also liked this shield, but the kids decided to do it small, to go with the other ones we’ve done for the Greeks and Romans.
- Viking clothes.
- Viking recipes.
- Viking musical instruments.
- We made this ship.
- Build-A-Beard of a Viking.
- Coloring and building a paper castle.
- I liked this site too for a little workbook at the end and brief review of what we had read and learned.
- Leif Ericson worksheet and a coloring page of him.
- How to draw a Viking ship.
- Viking Voyages game to print and make.
- Viking voyages map.
- Leif Eriksson : Viking Explorer of the New World (Viking Explorers of the World) by Cheryl L. DeFries.