As part of our Ancient Rome unit, we made a soldier’s helmet. We followed the instructions from this book.
We inflated a balloon. It was hard to guess the size of their heads to make sure it fit but not too big. We made these twice, and still ended up having them too big for their heads, but they made it work. We covered the balloons with paper mache. Instead of making the glue, we used white glue with a bit of water stirred in, to make it thiner.
Made it really smooth and let it dry for a day or two.
Once dried, they popped the balloon.
And tried it on. We cut with scissors around to make it look more like a helmet instead of a turban.
Then we added a plume in the center, on top.
And added a cut out paper plate for the neck cover.
They painted it gray (like metal helmets.)
And let it dry overnight. The plume had to be red, of course.
We let it dry few hours, and then cut around the ears.
We then cut a chin cover with different fabrics that I have in my stash. Siena wanted to use a left over piece from jeans I had used for another project. And Lucas used an acrylic leather-type piece.
Lucas decided to add a tie. And now they are all ready for their fighting.
Even though we are done with our Ancient Rome unit, I think they are re-thinking and are wanting to make a shield too. With these helmets now, a shield is a must. We’ll see what they come up with. But for now, these helmets were a fun project to do.