For the first unit in our homeschooling year, this year, we decided to study Ancient Greece. We’ve decided we wanted to use the same history books we have for the other units. So, we picked The History Pockets series for Ancient Greece, which is for 4-6 grades. And we used also the Ancient Civilizations one that we used when we studied Ancient Egypt last year, that is for younger kids, grades 1-3. They both work great for us.
It was a fun topic to start our homeschooling this year. We studied about their religion, their foods, the Olympics, the geography, their art.
Lots of activities to choose from. As I posted earlier this month, we made our own Parthenon. Actually two of them! We also made a Mycenaean box. We learned about the Olympic Gods and Goddesses. And oh yes… I am so glad we decided to go to the Greek Festival. The food… yummy!
We read a myth every day. This time, we kept it at reading just one per day, so we wouldn’t get the stories and the gods confused. And it was so much fun. I loved the book. The McElderberry Book of Greek Myths. Lucas received as a birthday present a couple of years ago, and this was the perfect time to read it. Such a beautiful book. We all liked it a lot.
And lastly, at the Greek Festival we bought three raffle tickets for two free tickets to Greece. This is as close as we’ve gotten on this Ancient Greece Field Trip plan. I think we might need to leave for another time.
Here are the books and videos we used for this unit in no particular order:
- History Pocket Ancient Greece by Sandy Johnson.
- The McElderberry Book of Greek Myths retold by Eric A. Kimmel.
- Peter Kent’s City Across Time by Peter Kent.
- Hour of the Olympics. Magic Tree House #16. By Mary Pope Osborne.
- Ancient Greece and The Olympics. Magic Tree House. Resource book.
- The Story of the Olympics. Usborne Young Readeing Series. By Minna Lacey.
- Ancient Greece. DK Eyewitness.
- Explore Ancient Greece! 25 Great Projects, Activities, Experiments. Explore Your World Series. By Carmella Van Vleet.
- Ancient Greece. 40 Hands-On Activities to Experience this Wondrous Age by Avery Hart and Paul Mantell.
- If I were a Kid in Ancient Greece : Children of the Ancient World.
- Classical Kids : An Activity Guide to Life in Ancient Greece and Rome. A Kid’s Guide Series. By Laurie Carlson.
- Life in Ancient Greece Coloring Book by John Green.
- Greek Gods and Goddesses by John Green.
- Food and Cooking in Ancient Greece. Cooking in World Cultures Series. By Clive Gifford.
- Hands-On Ancient People. Volume 2. By Yvonne Y. Merrill.
- Seven Wonders of Ancient Greece by Michael Woods and Mary B. Woods.
- The Crafts and Cultures of The Ancient Greeks by Joann Jovinelly and Jason Netelkos.
- The Kingfisher Book of The Ancient World : From The Ice Age to the Fall of Rome by Hazel Marry Martell.
- The Adventures of Odysseus (Barefoot) by Hiugh Lupton, Daniel Morden and Christina Balit.
- Greek Mythology for Students : The Gods of Olympus (video.)
- Greek Mythology for Students : The Trojan War (video.)
If you have any other suggestion for this Ancient Greek unit, I would love to add it here to have for future reference. Hope this is helpful for those wanting to use it.