The other day, on a week day, it was pretty but cold by the evening, so we decided to have a fire, and of course, s’mores. Ah… the beauty of homeschooling. Who doesn’t need s’mores mid-week, right?
It’s been a long time since we’ve had them. Probably since last July, when we were camping, before leaving to India. And again last night, we had some with our friend’s new fire pit.
For those needing a reminder, or maybe these pictures will convince you to make a fire soon, here’s how to make s’mores.
- Start a fire (safely, please.)
- Wearing pajamas and double caps is optional.
- Wait until you have good, red coals.
- While you wait, you can get the supplies: large marshmallows, graham crackers, Hershey’s chocolate, and roasting sticks.
- Get your crackers and chocolate ready before you roast your marshmallow.
- Roast your marshmallow.
Note: Please be careful when you are roasting your marshmallow, so it doesn’t get on fire. If it does, don’t panic. Slowly get it off the fire and blow it out. Usually at this point the marshmallow is very soft and it will come off the stick and fly onto other people’s eyebrows and burn them, very easily. This is a ‘sore’ subject at home.
- When the marshmallow is roasted (or burned) as you like, get it off the fire and place on top of your cracker with the chocolate piece (so the chocolate starts melting.)
- Put the other cracker on top.
- Squeeze. Get the stick off the melted marshmallow, carefully again. Not for burning anybody’s eyebrows, but because you have a hot snack, pointy sticky stick, and excited people wanting to eat.
- Sit down and enjoy.
- And have fun!