For years now, I’ve been collecting linens. I have lots of linens from my mom. Some she has made, others from my Omi. And others are from even someone else special.
But every time I see a kitchen towel or a table cloth in a garage sale or thrift store, pretty and handmade, I get it. I love the stitches. There is something really special about them. Someone worked really hard on it, dedicated long hours. They spent lots of time to make this something beautiful. And hopefully it was loved, used, and cared for.
Sometimes you can see the worn out threads or the thin parts of the fabric. Someone really used them well. It makes me happy to see. Other times you can see they are almost new, sometimes they are unfinished projects. I wonder what their story behind is. I still get them.
While cleaning up and organizing the past few months, I put all these linens together and picked those I wanted to use first. My idea was to make a quilt, using the best pieces of (mostly) these tablecloths.
And this was the hardest part. Cutting the linens. Oh my! It took me few tries before I was able to do cut these large tablecloths. I kept thinking maybe this was not the right project. Maybe I could use these tablecloths and doilies for something else. Something maybe I didn’t have to cut them? Not sure, I closed my eyes and went for it.
I cut pieces 13 inches wide and whatever length I could manage, with the best fabric.
Some of them were different shapes, so I sewed them to another piece on top, to make it square (or rectangular). I used the same linens I was cutting for the back of them. I wanted to use all recycled materials, and especially since I was cutting the tablecloths up anyways. I didn’t want anything extra to go to the trash can.
I sewed them into strips. Then I sewed those strips together into the top of the quilt.
I measured our bed and I made it the size to fit. I want to use this quilt in the summer, when our comforter is too hot to use, but it’s not hot enough for just a thin blanket or just a top sheet. Something in between. Something for mid season.
I found this flower sheet set at the store. I used the flat sheet for the quilt. Now I have the fitted sheet and the pillow cases to use as a new bedding (I have a new quilt AND new sheets, smart huh!)
I decided to not use a binding, but instead fold the backing (the sheet) into the front of the quilt and sew it in place. Giving it the same border than the (new!) sheets we’ll use in the summer with it. I’m not one to match everything around the house, but I thought it looked cute making it match those times the sheets and the quilt were used together.
I also decided to sew around the edge only. I am going to tie the quilt instead. I want the beauty of the hand stitches themselves to be the center of the quilt, not the quilting of it.
And so here it is now. On top of our bed. I like it. Some days it is still a little chilly without the flannel sheets I put away few weeks ago. So we are using my new quilt and the comforter underneath. I like it also that some weeks we are all matchy-matchy with our new soft sheets and quilt. All those flowers might just bring spring and summer back to us.